1. Sunscreen Although this is more important for lighter-skinned people, sunscreen should be a part of your daily skin routine. Studies have shown that sun damage not only leads to skin cancer, but premature aging. Bottom line, sunscreen is a good idea. Ones to try: Kiehl's BB Cream with SPF 50, BareMinerals SPF 30 Natural Sunscreen, Kiss My Face Face Factor Face + Neck Sunscreen SPF 30, L'Oreal Paris Sublime Sun Advanced Sunscreen SPF 50+
2. Toner This is especially good for people with oily skin, but everyone should use it. Along with being a light cleanser, toner shrinks pores, gives your skin pH balance, adds a layer of protection, moisturizes, refreshes skin, and prevents ingrown hairs. Ones to try: Neutrogena Alcohol-Free Toner, Clinique Clarifying Lotion 2, Murad Hydrating Toner, Perricone MD Firming Facial Toner
3. Wash your face Twice a day is ideal, but at least once with a cleanser, scrub, or facial wash is sufficient if you're in a bind (exfoliate multiple times a week for super soft skin). Never go to bed with makeup on, and use a gentile makeup remover/cleanser especially near your problem areas. Ones to try: Nuance Salma Hayek Oxygen Activated Foaming Face Wash, Aloe Calming Facial Cleanser, Suki Exfoliate Foaming Cleanser, Neutrogena Extra Gentile Eye Makeup Remover, St. Ives Invigorating Apricot Scrub
5. Don't touch your face I know this may seem obvious, but don't touch your face a lot throughout the day. Also, pay attention to anything that comes in contact with your face. Is it clean? Keep your makeup brushes sterilized, and for an easy brush-cleaning tutorial check out my post from April.
6. Facial oil These aromatherapeutic angels in a bottle might just rock your world. They absorb instantly to provide a natural glow, rather than a greasy or shiny finish. They are also packed with antioxidants and vitamins, which not only nourish and moisturize your skin but create a protective barrier against pollution, toxins, and even over cleansing. Even if you have naturally oily skin, facial oil is the way to go. Since it absorbs so quickly, it won't be sitting on the surface making your face appear oily. Ones to try: Philosophy When Hope is Not Enough Omega 3 6 9 Replenishing Oil, Lavendar Oil, Snowberry Soothing Facial Massage Oil, Boots Botanics Facial Oil
7. Moisturize This one can be used interchangeably with the facial oil, or you can use them both and see what happens. This is an oldie, but a goodie. Like facial oil, if you have oily skin, don't be scared of moisturizers. They not only add moisture to skin, but they lock it in, preventing moisture from escaping. One to try: Kiss My Face Chinese Botanicals Moisturizer, Mary Kay TimeWise Age-Fighting Moisturizer Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30, The Body Shop Vitamin C Daily Moisturizer SPF 30, Jurlique Calendula Cream, MAC Cosmetics Strobe Cream
8. Be healthy Workout, a good diet, hydration, and sufficient sleep will make your skin much more happy than you would think. If you want ways to get hydrated other than the classic 8 glasses a day, try a vaporizer, hot bath, or hit the steam room.
9. Retinol Even if signs of sun damage and aging haven't yet made an appearance, you should be using a topical retinol anti-aging cream (unless pregnant or nursing). These handy little creams are the most surefire way to prevent and reverse sun damage and signs of aging, plus they're amazing for your pores. Ones to try: RoC Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Daily Moisturizer SPF 30, Dr. Brandt Glow by Dr. Brandt Overnight Resurfacing Serum, Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Serum, Retinol Advanced Brightening Serum, Boots No. 7 Protect and Perfect Intense Beauty Serum Bottle
10. Don't forget about your lips Those lips are a part of your face too! They also have some of the thinnest skin on your body, so they need extra protection, especially with all of those fab lipsticks, glosses, and stains you're subjecting them to. Opt for a moisturizing lip balm that contains SPF, to minimize your chances of skin cancer (skin cancer originating from the lips is particularly terrible) and sun damage. Ones to try: Softlips Pearl Tint SPF 15 & Vanilla SPF 20 Value Pack, EOS Lemon Drop Smooth Sphere Lip Balm with SPF 15, COOLA Suncare LipLux SPF 30 Original Formula, Maybelline Baby Lips
Thanks so much for reading! I hope you like it :)